It's That Simple Journal Stirring the Pot

When It’s Hardest to Trust

January 25, 2016

Growing up means we trust God in our strengths–not just in our weakness. Somehow when disaster strikes, it’s easy to fling myself on God – He’s my Father, after all. But I can go all day – on a good day, especially on a good day – and forget He wants me flung all over Him 24/7.

N’est pas?  You bet.

“Self-sufficiency is life’s greatest barricade to intimacy with God.” – J. Stowell

When is it hardest to trust God?  When I’m doing something I’m good at. Or that I think I’m good at. Or that I’ve done for years and not flubbed up for awhile.

Here’s your free printable.

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 11.00.26 AM

Why horses?

Here’s why:

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7 NIV

I remember my first solo. I willed my feet to walk toward the mike. I prayed that what I’d practiced over and over would come out of my mouth. I prayed and hoped to God He would come through and that I wouldn’t croak and fall off the stage and embarrass everyone, including myself. I relied on God. I had to. I sang, scared to death, the first 100 times or so. Eventually I didn’t quake as much, sweat as much, worry as much. Experience helped.

But I didn’t trust in my voice. I knew better. I don’t trust myself on a horse. And I don’t trust a horse. Or a chariot, for that matter. I don’t think AAA covers either.

At our age, we know we can do some things well. It’s okay to know. Silly to deny what God’s provided. But self-reliance is a slippery slope. I’d rather slide right off a horse than slide down that slope.

Do I want to be intimate with God or not? I do.  I may pray hard in the hard things, but forget in the easy. I can be proud and clueless in San Luis doing the  dailies of  life without leaning into my Father’s guidance, power, wisdom. (An idiot I am–Yoda Sue.)

I love Mark Batterson’s comment on those strong fishermen who followed Jesus:

What I love about the miracles involving fish is that it’s the one sphere where the disciples might have been tempted to assert superiority. I’m sure they would have never verbalized it, but I wonder if they honestly believed that they knew a thing or two about fishing that Jesus didn’t. After all, Jesus was carpenter. They were practically born in a fishing boat. This was their domain. This was their strong suit. And that is often where it is hardest to trust God. We start trusting in our God-given gifts instead of the God who give them to us in the first place. M. Batterson, The Grave-Robber, p. 164

What are you trusting in? Boats? Chariots? A good horse? A good upbringing? A good set of lungs? A good husband? A good therapist?

It’s easy (or easier) to trust God when it’s hard. I need Him just as much in the dailies; a close run-in with a horse reminds me.

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7 NIV

For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not? I Corinthians 4:7, NIV

The Art of HomeMaking Mondays Soul Survival LiveRandomlySimple  TestimonyTuesdays Me, Coffee, & Jesus,  CornerstoneConfessions, CoffeeandConversation,Purposeful Faith Intentional Tuesday Jennifer Dukes Holley Gerth KristinHillTaylor, SittingAmongFriends,Thought-Provoking Thursday Faith-Filled Friday

• Reply Jamie Snow January 26, 2016 at 4:26 pm

It made me think of this great quote: “If dependence on God is our goal, then weakness is our advantage.”

• Reply Sue January 27, 2016 at 8:36 am

love that quote, Jamie and you!

• Reply Alisa @ Flourishing Today January 27, 2016 at 10:52 am

So true Sue! In places where I feel comfortable, I tend to rely on my own strength. When I feel completely out of my comfort zone, I’m like “Help, God, help!” It’s actually much harder to rely on Him when we feel strong. This is such a reminder for me to surrender my strength and weaknesses to Him. They are both better off in His hands! Visiting you from Coffee From Your Heart Linkup.

• Reply Dolly @ Soul Stops January 27, 2016 at 11:07 am

Sue,

So very true…loved this post, and all the quotes. Thank you :-) Blessings, my friend :-)

• Reply Heather January 27, 2016 at 11:43 am

Goodness YES… It’s way easier to remember to pray in the storm than in the sunshine. But He’s in both. ♥ Thanks for the kick in the pants today Sue! And I love that Mark Batterson quote about fishing…. Jesus certainly does have a way of turning on its ear what we think we know…♥ May we always default to trusting in HIM rather than in what he has given us.

• Reply Kristin Hill Taylor January 28, 2016 at 12:24 pm

That Grave-Robber book is on my list to read. You’ve got me wanting to read is sooner rather than later. :) Thanks for linking up at #ThreeWordWednesday.

• Reply Karen Del Tatto January 28, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Great insights here! And so very true!

I love the quote you shared and the author’s insights into the disciples as fisherman and Jesus direction for “where they should fish”.

Thanks for sharing such an edifying post!

• Reply JES the Pilgrim January 29, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Very thought provoking. Thank you for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth!

• Reply jwiebel January 31, 2016 at 6:32 am

I needed to hear this today, Sue. I mean today. I have been feeling this distance and God is speaking through His Word today. It is okay to be able to do the things God has given me the knowledge to do. It does give me permission to be self-reliant. Oh, how I need Him. Thank you so much, friend. Thank you for sharing with us at Sitting Among Friends on Wednesdays. I hope to see you there next week.

• Reply Sue February 2, 2016 at 10:42 am

I’m so glad – I think I needed to hear it too – most blogs if not all, go through/to me, first, as I’m sure you know. Glad it set well with you. have a great day and yes, I’ll be back on Wednesday. sue

I do talk to myself (a lot) — but I’d love to hear what you might have to say HERE: