Growing Something Besides Old Journal

Set Your Table, Set Your Mind–Pt. I

May 8, 2016

Growing up means knowing where to set your mind.

Set your mind

Mom knew how to get things done. Which meant she knew how to get us to help her get things done.

She kept a giant chalkboard in the kitchen long before chalkboards were popular on Pinterest (long before Pinterest). And it wasn’t there to be pretty. It was there to get things done.

Each of our names across the top:

Hyatt, Steve, Lynnel, Sue, Lori. (She liked things in order—I’m the well-adjusted #4, she said smugly.)

Followed by a daily list of chores with twice on Saturday.

Sue

Set the table

Polish the good silver

Empty the DW

Dust the LR

Sweep the porch

Iron the Tcloths

Mom knew shortspeak long before texting. She had to fit five of us on the board. You can’t get the full effect without Mom’s famous/infamous scrawl. We kids could’ve joined the ranks of the FBI codebreakers.

Every day a list of chores listed under our name with twice the lot on Saturday.

I learned in my wiser years–say age nine–to not erase a job when completed–to keep Mom from adding yet another, and another.  When finished, I’d cross them all off, call out when I knew her head was in the dryer, “Mom, I’m finished. I’m going to Annie’s. Bye!” I thought I was one smart cookie.

For years Mom would say, “I could have never gotten all my work done if it weren’t for you five kids.” We would smile, nod our heads and remember the good parts version.

Is it the same with our Heavenly Parent? Does He give us a list that we better heed, or He won’t be able to accomplish His work?

He did list Ten Commandments, although to make our lives better–not to get His work done.

He doesn’t need me to get His work done. But He invites me to do His work with His power.

Jesus gave us the Short Commandments version:

I want you to love Me.

Oh, and love others just like I love you.

Here’s His chalkboard:

Sue

Love Me

Love others like I love you

Sounds simple, but I don’t get to cross these off–not til Glory. And if I think I can, He writes them up again. Indelible chalk. I can always love better and deeper.

Lately, when my heart’s a mess or the world seems tilted on its head (or I remember it’s another presidential race) or people act like they’ve never heard of God– that’s when I remember Paul’s list in Colossians 3. He’s got more than one, but the Short Version is verse 2:

Set your mind on the things above and not on the things that are on earth. Colossians 3:2

Here’s your free printable.

set your mind

That about covers it. He doesn’t need a chalkboard or writing in the sky to make things clear.

“Set your mind, Sue, on the things that matter: Me, heaven, people getting to heaven. I’ll take care of the rest of the list. You set your mind.”

Setting your table tonight? I’m about ready to get out a clean tablecloth. I’ll set it pretty, with heaven in mind, and pray I mind the list.

In The Message:

So if you’re serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective. Col. 3:1,2

BecauseI’mCheap The Art of HomeMaking Mondays Soul Survival LiveRandomlySimple  TestimonyTuesdays   CornerstoneConfessions, CoffeeandConversation,Purposeful Faith Intentional Tuesday Jennifer Dukes HolleyGerth KristinHillTaylor, SittingAmongFriends, FaithBarista Thought-Provoking Thursday Faith-Filled Friday Grace&Truth  DanceWithJesus

• Reply Heather May 9, 2016 at 5:13 am

So since this is the second time this morning I have been confronted with the thoughts of setting my mind and looking up maybe I should heed that message??! And boy do I love a list–it keeps me focused but it also can be overwhelming when I overpopulate it with the extraneous…. May God always help us to keep first thing first, i.e. HIMSELF!! Thank goodness for how he swoops in to simplify– just like you do in all your thought provoking posts I hope you had a grand Mother’s Day Mama Sue ♥ xxoo

• Reply Sue May 9, 2016 at 9:42 pm

same to you – it was grand (I helped it along the way, but it worked!) haha xx

• Reply Suzanne May 9, 2016 at 8:56 am

Love this. I like that our to do list is simple, and daily. I tend to make lists and then get overwhelmed thinking it has to all be done before living in the moment. That wears me out. So I try to put the to do list on spots on my calendar so they do get done, eventually, but there is open time for important things like prayer and people and pondering. Keep on encouraging us my friend.

• Reply Sue May 9, 2016 at 9:41 pm

i agree – my lists are long. so this helped me, too. thanks, friend.

• Reply Susan B Mead May 9, 2016 at 10:02 am

Sue, thank you for this wonderful Chore List. Love Me and Love like I do…
    POWERFUL!
    May I invite you to share at the DanceWithJesus linkup to bless someone there? SusanBMead.com/blog each Friday. Hugs, Susan
    (Neighbor at Soul Survival Linkup today)

• Reply Sue May 9, 2016 at 9:40 pm

I will, Susan. thanks for the invite.

• Reply Lisa Appelo. May 10, 2016 at 9:57 am

Loved this! I have 7 kids and I can so identify with how much my kids help. I sure hope they remember the good parts! ;) You have such an engaging site and I love your message to open our homes to share the good news of Jesus. It’s something I used to do, stopped doing b/c life as we knew it collapsed, and something I know God is prompting me to take back up. Not have to but should do. My word for this year is *respond* and I believe opening my home is part of it. Okay, so many words this morning! :) So happy to be visiting from #intentionaltuesday

• Reply Sue May 10, 2016 at 12:47 pm

love your word respond – it doesn’t let us off the hook when the Spirit’s speaking – was just going to podcast about that – thanks for stopping by! xx
      ps not that you have time, but i have tons of resources for you to start up hospitality again – all encouraging!!

• Reply Kelly Basham May 10, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I absolutely loved this! God’s instructions are simple and we can’t erase his words! Powerful! By the way, I laughed out loud when I read you tried to erase and cross your chores off the list. :)

• Reply Sue May 10, 2016 at 12:46 pm

thanks, kelly! thankfully, God’s got the eraser! xx

• Reply Dolly@Soulstops May 10, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Sue,
    I love your mom’s wisdom and how you applied God’s Word to remind us of what is truly important. Blessings to you, my friend :-)

• Reply Sue May 11, 2016 at 9:03 am

Thanks, dolly – you, too.

• Reply hopeful50 May 11, 2016 at 7:55 am

I’m not your neighbor today but I love visiting on Wednesday. And, I love this post. And, I love you, Sue whom I’ve never met! Kindred’s, I believe!!!

• Reply Sue May 11, 2016 at 9:04 am

Well, you’re welcome at my table. Best part about linky parties! (never snow, ever, btw)

• Reply sunSPARKLEshine May 11, 2016 at 11:10 am

I really like the Message version: “Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you.” That can describe me many days — being caught up in my own little world. But here, you’ve reminded me to set my mind always on God’s plans, not my own. He will take care of the rest.
    Thanks, Sue!
    Marva | sunSPARKLEshine

• Reply Sue May 11, 2016 at 9:31 pm

i felt a little shufflely today myself. but it helped to pray. it will also help to not watch the whole Warriors game and get a better night’s sleep! thanks, marva. xx

• Reply helloleahgrey May 11, 2016 at 9:22 pm

I LOVE this! Firstly, because I’m going to make a big list of chores for my kids. Great idea. And second because that’s exactly how God thinks of us :) So much wisdom. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Sue May 11, 2016 at 9:32 pm

why, thank you, leah and hello back! love your tweets too – just shared. come again. sue

• Reply Raising Samuels May 13, 2016 at 2:54 pm

What an awesome correlation! Thanks so much for sharing with #SocialButterflySunday! Hope to see you link up again this week :)

• Reply Set Your Table, Set Your Mind, Pt. 2 - Welcome Heart May 15, 2016 at 3:18 pm

[…] Monday’s post introduced you to my maddening mother – I mean, our organized and hard-working madre – she used […]

• Reply Coffee and Conversation #94 - Memorial Day Musings - May 17, 2016 at 9:16 pm

[…] Set Your Table, Set Your Heart […]