Chocolate on Mondays Creating community God's Welcoming Heart Journal Kingdom Hospitality Stirring the Pot

Chocolate on Mondays: Imperfect Hospitality — (God Can Use) The Worst Hostess

June 12, 2016
hospitality

Another word on Imperfect Hospitality. God can use the worst hostess. I know this from experience.

There’s more community in failure than success. I love community, so I’m happy to share any and all failures in hospitality.

If you’ve ever failed (you’re the opposite of the hostess-with-the-mostest)–if you’ve ever failed, you probably felt a little puny. I’m here to make you feel better. Believe me.

One time a friend walked into my house and said, “Well, I feel better about my house.” Somehow that wasn’t encouraging. But I served a purpose in her life that day–I made her feel better. Oh, well.

Here you go. I live to make you feel better:

God shows up when we can’t and don’t, and that’s a good thing. But He can’t show up for us doing hospitality, if we don’t invite someone over.

It’s a risk. I get it. The more we try, the more it doesn’t matter if we make a mistake.

Let me know how it goes. We could start a whole community of failures used by God. Come up with a catchy title and we’ll start our own FB group.

Imperfect hospitality

Free printable.

Often linking up with these lovely bloggers:

Because I’mCheap  Me,Coffee,and Jesus  momentsofhope The Art of HomeMaking Mondays SoulSurvival  LiveRandomlySimple  TeaandWord TestimonyTuesdays   CornerstoneConfessions, CoffeeandConversation,Purposeful Faith Intentional Tuesday Jennifer Dukes HolleyGerth KristinHillTaylor, SittingAmongFriends, WiseWoman ,  Thought-Provoking Thursday #livefreethursday Faith-Filled Friday FreshMarketFriday Grace&Truth  DancewithJesus coffeeshopconversations

• Reply Lynnel Lein June 13, 2016 at 9:28 am

Really fun story, Sue!!

• Reply Sue June 13, 2016 at 9:54 am

yes, fun and embarrassing.

• Reply Faith To Shine June 14, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Sue, I loved this post so much! I invited my neighbors over to chat about a book once and then slept through my alarms, feel behind getting the coffee and snacks ready- and then they all showed up early- so early in fact that I was just getting out of the shower when the door bell rang. (oops). Ah, it was fun though- they chatted while I finished getting dressed. And you’re so right- there’s no place for God to show up in our hospitality if we don’t invite people over. :)
    Great word my friend! Thank you for sharing!! (and motivating me to invite!)

• Reply Sue June 15, 2016 at 7:58 am

Hilarious – love your story – am starting a fb group on hospitality – would love for you to join – keep posted!

• Reply Andrew Budek-Schmeisser June 14, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Oy gevalt!

I am a host ‘major fail’. To visit here, we’ve got to sit outside, as the house is wall-to-wall with dogs. They own the couch and the chairs and the dining room and the breakfast nook…and Strawberry the Baby Bullmastiff has staked out the kitchen. Well, she’s hungry.

So we’ll chat outside. That way I can hear you, and…uh, oh, they just found a way to open the front door again and HERE THEY COME!!!!!!!

Your neighbour at Coffee and Conversation.

• Reply Anna Smit June 15, 2016 at 12:32 am

You know, I LOVE having people over and my house is never tidy. I’ve never worried so much about that…I guess it helped having a mother who invited tonnes of people over, even with six kids running around. She even hosted a family of four from our campervan that we lived in for the first six months in Germany (my parents were missionaries). I now see God so clearly in this heart of hers: it definitely wasn’t always easy for her to offer herself in this way when life was already a challenge.

Recently, I’ve been learning that visiting others in their home is also showing hospitality. I’ve always wanted people here…but sadly that’s not always possible…so I’m learning to offer a home from my heart to others in their homes.

• Reply Sue June 15, 2016 at 7:59 am

that is a great insight, anna – the mutuality of hospitality is something i’m niggling on – thanks so very much for commenting! a great mom story and tribute.

• Reply Lauren Gaskill | Making Life Sweet June 15, 2016 at 11:25 am

I LOVE this post, so much Sue! Definitely sharing this with my readers. I loved how you said “There’s more community in failure than success.” I couldn’t agree more. Community happens when imperfect people come together to share life. It doesn’t have to be perfect. <3

• Reply welcomesue June 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm

thanks, lauren. appreciate you and your expertise and heart.

• Reply Tara June 15, 2016 at 11:42 am

Hospitality doesn’t include perfection at all. Loved this post. Blessed to be your neighbor at the RaRa linkup and at Three Word Wednesday.

• Reply welcomesue June 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm

HI, Tarax2! Glad you came by and thanks so much1

• Reply Abby June 16, 2016 at 11:53 am

From one imperfect host to another, this is such an encouragement to me! Stress-free and focused on your guests is always the better choice. Thank you so much for sharing this, Sue. Love it.

• Reply Chizobam June 17, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Hello Sue,
    Thank you so much for your post.
    These are my exact words from my last post on my blog “I also had houseguests and hospitality does not come naturally to my flesh.”
    The post is partly about God dealing with me to be hospitable and loving to my guests. God has used your teaching to buttress His point.
    Than you so much for sharing.
    You can read the post at http://beautifulinjesus.com/strait-gate-narrow-way/

• Reply Lux G. June 18, 2016 at 12:30 am

First, I’m a chocoholic. :D

And yes, I agree with you. God seems not to mind our weakness and still uses us for His purpose. I mean the Bible is full of imperfect people following God.

Beautifully written.

• Reply Lori Schumaker of Seaching for Moments June 18, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Hi Sue,
    Oh, this was such a good reminder for this girl! I’m not gifted nor fond of the kitchen! But, I am great at creating an awesome spread with odds and ends from a pantry of Costco goods! If I have time to plan, Costco is great to have it all set up, but usually, I have plenty stocked to create SOMETHING! I am always insecure of my lack of providing the “homemade” items, though. Thankfully, it hasn’t stopped my home from being full most of the time, but I do need to stop the enemy from whispering those negative thoughts in my spirit!!

Thank you for sharing this message of hope for the not so domestic goddess with us at Moments of Hope! It was so good to meet you this week!!

Blessings and smiles,
    Lori

• Reply 5 Ideas for Community Building (+ Some Scrumptious Espresso Waffles) | Making Life Sweet June 30, 2016 at 4:03 am

[…] when I remembered the words of my fellow friend and writer Sue Donaldson, who recently wrote a post on imperfect hospitality. “There’s more community in failure than success,” Sue […]