Gratitude Journal

A Thanking Woman, Part I: Right Off the Bat

September 18, 2016

I want to be a Thanking Woman, right off the bat.

To begin my prayers with: Thank You, God.

To begin my words with: Thank you, friend.

Right off the bat, I want to start Thankful.

We’re taught to say: “Thank You” at the end of a party, at the end of an email, at the end of the day. Let’s switch it up to the top of the page:

Thanks for inviting me. Thanks for thinking of me. Thanks for loving me.

Thanking God–right off the bat so that I’m ahead of the game when I get to heaven.

Is that possible? Can we get ahead of any game with God? I’d like to try. If I die trying, it’d be a great way to die –

Thank You, God – Whoa – here I am–here YOU are–in person! Thanks for that and for You.

My youngest always thanks me for dinner. At the end, not the begininng. But I love it. I didn’t tell her to do that. She just decided to. Even if it’s curry and curry isn’t her favorite. Even if we’ve had a rough dinner–one or more of us saying one or more things–we shouldn’t have. No matter the meal, no matter the tone, I hear her voice call out as she goes up the stairs,

Thanks for dinner.

self care

Really. You’re thanking me. I appreciate that. I thank you for thanking me. This could go on and on.

Maybe it’s supposed it.

Thank you.

Well, thank you for thanking me.

No, thank YOU for thanking me.

(It could be worse. No thanks.)

I’ll start today:

Thank You, Lord that Tammy came for lunch and stayed all afternoon and that lunch was simple (and that she loves cilantro) and that I have enough of it leftover for dinner.

Whew. That covered a lot. We covered a lot.

Lunch: a simple meal. Thank you: a simple thing to say. May lunch remind me to be a Thanking Woman.

I want it to start with breakfast. No, before I get out of bed. I’ll especially be thankful if I get breakfast in bed. Either way, I want to be a Thanking Woman.

Ken Williams said,

Gratitude not expressed is not gratitude.

A Grateful Woman

Free printable.

Paul knew how to start a letter:

I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge…I Corinthians 1:4,5 NIV
For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people,  I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. Ephesians 1:15,16 NIV

He used parachute words–he covered a lot:

always thank my God for you

I have not stopped giving thanks for you

Who needs your thanks? (I stopped writing this momentarily to write two pastors a little Thankful note. Short and to the point: “Thank you for this morning…” Every pastor needs a few more Thanking Women in the audience, don’tchaknow? (Every husband, as well, but that’s another post.)

Don’t know what to say? Don’t know what to write? Start by thanking. Right off the bat.

Linking often with these lovely bloggers:

SocialButterflySunday MomentsofHope  TheArtofHomeMakingMondays SoulSurvival  LiveRandomlySimple  http://www.leahadams.org/category/the-loft-linkup/ TestimonyTuesdays   CornerstoneConfessions, CoffeeandConversation,Purposeful Faith Intentional Tuesday Jennifer Dukes HolleyGerth KristinHillTaylor, SittingAmongFriends, WiseWoman ,  Thought-Provoking Thursday #livefreethursday Faith-FilledFriday Grace&Truth  FreshMarketFriday DancewithJesus coffeeshopconversations

• Reply Suzanne Kelley September 19, 2016 at 8:27 am

Thank you Sue. I like that wake up Thankful idea. Sets the tone for the day.

• Reply Sue September 19, 2016 at 9:00 am

Me, as well!

• Reply Robbin September 19, 2016 at 10:42 am

At church our pastor started a series on Out Front…being leaders where we are. Today was about serving with gratitude. We’re going through the book of 1Timothy. We were going through 1Timothy 1:12-16, first being grateful for the gift of Christ. This led to talking about serving with an attitude of gratitude. I’m hoping to get more involved somehow, though it’s hard when working full-time. But, I’m sure I can find a place that can fit.

• Reply Sue September 20, 2016 at 3:02 pm

I’m sure you can, dear Robbin! Will pray.

• Reply donni September 19, 2016 at 10:56 am

Thank you once again Sue! Will quote you & ken Williams😬😍

• Reply Sue September 20, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Frameable, that’s for sure. xx

• Reply Michele Ellison September 20, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Hi!

I’m visiting from Titus 2 Tuesday and I’m so thankful I found your blog! Thank you for these great reminders to be intentionally thankful. We are surrounded by countless blessings and it is so important to take time and remember to give thanks with a grateful heart. And I love the reminder about writing actual thank you notes. I have a few to go write myself…thank you!

• Reply Sue September 20, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Oh, good – listen in on FB Live next week for a giveaway. Thanks, Michele.

• Reply Tiffany Parry September 20, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Sue – this post was sweet confirmation of some things God has been writing over my heart about gratitude. And it confirms the Hallmark card I purchased for a friend yesterday, just to say thank you. You are right – such a simple thing to do, but with such great power. Blessed to visit from #RaRalinkup.

• Reply Sue September 26, 2016 at 11:20 am

Thank you, Tiffany – blessings on us all as we become more thankful women!

• Reply Sue September 20, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I love that God writes over your heart (and mine when I’m listening!) Thanks, Tiffany – yes, tons of power with a contented, thankful heart.

• Reply Debbie Kitterman September 21, 2016 at 10:19 am

Thank you Sue! It’s such a great idea to turn it around and proclaim your thankfulness before even receiving or know what you will be getting – I love it and it sets the tone for the whole interaction, whether in prayer, conversation or well, anything ! We are neighbors at #RaRaLinkup today – yay.. so thankful and blessings to you

• Reply Sue September 26, 2016 at 11:18 am

Hey, debbie – thanks for stopping by! thanking God for you and your lakeside talks!

• Reply Susan Chamberlain Shipe September 21, 2016 at 1:16 pm

You know, I think Ann really latched on to something with her grateful list. Gratefulness should be spelled Greatfulness because it is really GREAT to be GRATEful. It does proceed the miracle. xoxo

• Reply Sue September 26, 2016 at 11:17 am

It does – I need to remember that as I pray for miracles – thanks, susan!

• Reply Cristina Wilkerson September 23, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Thank you Sue for bringing refreshing thoughts to my day

• Reply Sue September 26, 2016 at 11:13 am

Thank you, Cristina. Hope you new school year is going well!

• Reply Loved by the King of kings September 24, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I like that saying by Ken Williams: “Gratitude not expressed is not gratitude.” It’s so true.
    Thanks for sharing this. I definitely need to have a more thankful heart.

• Reply Sue September 26, 2016 at 11:11 am

Me, too – I think that’s why God gave me the idea…

• Reply Lori Schumaker of Seaching for Moments September 27, 2016 at 10:41 am

Thankfulness is so important! It not only changes our hearts and increases our joy, but it does the same for those in our lives! As always, Sue, I so enjoy my moments here! Thanks so much for sharing hope!!
    Blessings and smiles,
    Lori

• Reply Suzanne Houck October 5, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Thank you Sue!!!! You’re always ablessing to me.