Creating community Journal Soul Keeping Stirring the Pot

Showing Off: A Purpose in the Choosing

January 15, 2017

Why did God choose us? He chose you and me–on purpose.  He loves showing off.

I choose on purpose, too. I compare Gain to Sun and see the difference. It costs more but when on sale, I choose Gain. I’m smart that way. (I don’t receive money by saying this. I’m not that smart.)

I'm Chosen

I’m sure you choose purposefully, mostly. It comes with practice and age and making mistakes. I’m ready to stop making mistakes. (I’ll let you know when that happens.) But when I do make a mistake, I have this:

Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

And I have this:

My God is bigger than the mistakes I make. Mitzi at Peacefully Imperfect.

In spite of my mistakes, God chose me. I don’t know why, as in– “Why, me, Lord?” But I do know why, as in– “This is your purpose, Sue, now that You’re Mine.”

I sit back into God and His purpose for me because it was made for me. And for you:

…you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light. I Peter 2:9

And I love the ESV:

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. I Peter 2:9

I’m chosen. You’re chosen. With purpose. We get to show others the goodness of God. We get to proclaim His excellence. At our best, we are God showing off.

I like that. I can sit down in His purpose for me, all the way in–like sinking into my overstuffed sofa with well-loved cushions, and afghans from Pottery Barn (also chosen purposefully at 40% off.) At my best, I sink and sit and embrace why God chose me.

Some people proclaim as in preaching in the pulpit or on the corner. That’s one way. But like Mr. Hills taught us in Creative Writing class: Show, don’t tell.

Showing grips the heart, not only the mind, and God is after hearts.

How can we show His excellencies today?

Take a meal

Say a kind word

Pray for comfort for a friend

Invite a college student for waffles. (On Friday, I met Shannon randomly at Starbucks. She’s lived in San Luis five whole days. She’s coming for waffles in thirty minutes. Who doesn’t want waffles and sausage when new in town and it’s forty-five in the shade? Californians are weak when it comes to weather. A waffle invitation warms the heart.)

Chosen for purpose

Another way to show off God’s excellencies?

Speak His name out loud in normal conversation.

At Mission Thrift a customer might tell me some good news: “This was such a good deal! I needed a black skirt for an interview this very day and it’s only five dollars and it fit!” and without thinking you might say, “Praise the Lord – it’s adorable and so are you and what’s your name and I’ll pray for you at what time today?”

And they might think I’m a little off (I get that from Mom)–but they heard the connection of goodness to them from a good God Who loves them more than they knew. I’m delighted to be a little off if it’s for the right purpose. Want to join me? We can be the Little Off Sisters (for Jesus)

We don’t know why God chose us, but we know what for.

…that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. I Peter 2:9

Lord,

Thanks for choosing me. I don’t know why, but I want to live the what for. Please help me proclaim how good you are to whoever comes my way. Bless Shannon and the waffles. Amen.

…and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.

II Corinthians 5:15

Linking often with these lovely bloggers:

MomentsofHope  TheArtofHomeMakingMondays SoulSurvival  LiveRandomlySimple   TestimonyTuesdays  CoffeeandConversation,Purposeful Faith  Jennifer Dukes  HolleyGerth KristinHillTaylor, SittingAmongFriends, WiseWoman ,  Thought-Provoking Thursday #livefreethursday Thoughtful Thursdays Faith-FilledFriday Grace&Truth  FreshMarketFriday DancewithJesus  Faith&Friends SnippetsofInspirations WordofGodspeak

• Reply Claire January 15, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Thank you, Sue! This was my thought provoking thing for today, Sunday, since I can’t go to church (low immunities from chemo treatments).
    Always love your conversational style — thanks!!!!
    Another Little Off Sister

• Reply Sue January 17, 2017 at 11:50 am

dear dear claire – may you be up and about sooner than later. love and praying. And, yes, we are a little off!

• Reply holyvacationqueen January 17, 2017 at 11:48 am

Love this, love your pretty blog, too! I especially love the waffle story. We need more waffle invites! Great inspiration!
    Visiting from next door at #testimonytuesday!

• Reply Sue January 17, 2017 at 11:52 am

Thanks, kathy – and guess what? Little shannon said: So do you do these waffle things all the time? (: I said, Well, no, but if I do, do you want to come? Well, yes she does. A blessing.
    Thank you for stopping by.

• Reply Debbie Kitterman January 17, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Sue, I would have defeintely said yes to waffles too! How come I have never thought to invite someone to waffles, guess, I wasn’t smart enough to think about it, but now I am smart enough to borrow the idea !! Thanks for sharing and give me and others some great food for thought. I’ve been mia ofr a few months, but its good to be back and visiting my friends again. I am your almost neighbor at #TestimonyTuesday and #RaRaLinkup today

• Reply Sue January 17, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Hi, deb! I usaually make them from scratch but came across a Krusteaz mix and they were delicious! When I was single, an older couple had us over Sunday nights for waffles. Sometimes I cook up apples in the crock pot to make it more cozy and it makes the house smell good too. You are welcome here anytime – I’ll post the recipe soon.

• Reply Michele Morin January 18, 2017 at 4:54 am

Thanks so much for this! I”m teaching in I Peter right now and the whole “elect” thing is such a deep concept. I need all the resources I can find!

• Reply Sue January 26, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Thank you, Michele – you’re a blessing.

• Reply rosebudmama January 19, 2017 at 10:35 am

We get to show others the goodness of God. I was reminded this while reading Ephesians this morning. I love it when I read a similar message in multiple places. I hope you have a lovely day!

• Reply rosebudmama January 19, 2017 at 10:37 am

I mean to write similar where I typed the s above. :-)

• Reply Sue January 26, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Thanks so much – me, as well.

• Reply Karen January 19, 2017 at 11:44 am

I love to meditate on being chosen by God. How awesome to rest in this truth when the world tells us we will never be “good enough.” Praise Jesus that we don’t have to be “good” we’re already chosen and fully accepted in the beloved!

• Reply Sue January 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Amen to that, karen!

• Reply Dolly Lee (@SoulStops) January 19, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Sue,
    I love how you are blessing others and proclaiming God’s goodness. What a gift :-)

• Reply Sue January 26, 2017 at 3:20 pm

You, as well, dear Dolly!

• Reply Tracey Brewer January 20, 2017 at 6:17 am

May I live in the confidence today that God chose me to walk this particular path, and be grateful for His provision, trusting Him for the future.

• Reply Sue January 26, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Me, as well. Confidence in God pleases Him so very much. (:

• Reply hopeful50 January 20, 2017 at 11:07 am

I like the way you write!

• Reply Sue January 26, 2017 at 3:23 pm

thanks, friend. hope you get some sunshine soon!

• Reply Dawn Boyer January 21, 2017 at 6:33 am

You have such a warm and gracious and inviting personality in your photo and in your writing, it is clear that the Lord is using you on purpose to bless others. :) It just blessed me to visit here today and that verse in Peter is so comforting. I love that we are chosen by God… how affirming it is and how much of a blessing it is to be confidently His.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

• Reply Sue January 26, 2017 at 3:21 pm

thank you, dawn – you are so kind to say so. comfort is a great word for what God directs us in -as a friend said, the perfect place to be is in the center of God’s will.

• Reply dawnklinge January 26, 2017 at 3:16 pm

How can we show His excellencies today? I love that question. I also love to think about being intentionally chosen by God. This post was such an encouragement to me. Thank you for sharing with Grace and Truth. I would love to feature this post tomorrow.

• Reply Sue January 26, 2017 at 3:22 pm

I love it as well, and I wish I remembered to pray it every day! thank you and of course.

• Reply Gretchen Fleming January 27, 2017 at 8:03 am

Love this Sue! That last verse is one of my favorites. You are inspiring at putting feet to words. Great post friend:)

• Reply Sue January 27, 2017 at 9:34 am

Mine as well – thanks, friend!

• Reply SunSparkleShine January 27, 2017 at 8:47 am

Sue, you’ve reminded me that when I share my heart and my home with others it not only blesses them but it blesses me as well. What a great way to say welcome and show the love of Christ.
    Thanks for always inspiring us with your wit and charm. :-)
    Blessings to you!

Visiting today from Dawn Klinge’s Grace&Truth where you were featured.

Marva | SunSparkleShine

• Reply Sue January 27, 2017 at 9:35 am

Thank you, beautiful Marva! Truly, mutuality of blessing.

• Reply Sherry January 27, 2017 at 12:27 pm

I love that! “we are God showing off. Thanks for posting!

• Reply Sue January 28, 2017 at 9:12 am

Yes and He loves showing off!

• Reply Mold and Weeds, Pt. II-No Fence-Sitting Allowed - Welcome Heart February 19, 2017 at 8:15 pm

[…] know I’m chosen. I love it that I am. But I’m chosen FOR  something–so are you, and that thing doesn’t include mold and weeds and fence-sitting […]