Journal Stirring the Pot This and That

Word of the Year–Crystalizing Your Passions and Priorities, 2017

January 22, 2017

It’s January 23. You still have time to claim your Word of the Year. For why you should, see these pithy posts by Claire here and here (short, I promise.) If you like more than short, read this: My One Word.

In short, your One Word does all this:

… imbues the type of year you wish to have, and a word that can serve as a guidepost for what you want in the year to come. One simple word you can always harken back to in moments of darkness and doubt. One word that informs your decisions, that crystalizes your passions and priorities, and that embodies – well – everything. Claire Diaz Ortiz

Your Word of the Year imbues, guides, harkens, informs, crystalizes. Love the verbs. Verbs do things and your WOTY will do these and more for you.

You may wonder:

I don’t like to be pinned down. What if I make a mistake? What if I change my mind? What if I choose the wrong word?

Relax. You’re not under contract. You won’t lose your soul or your place in line.

Writer/speaker/Christ-follower, Cynthia Heald chooses a VOTY – Verse of the Year. She asks God every year for one verse He wants to meld into her soul. More than One Word, yes, but it’s THE Word–so even more focus, more change, more life.

Last year my word was Winsome.

Word of the Year

I love that word. I didn’t think of it daily but wish I had. I should have read these words more than once:

Why be winsome?

People will love me more, but that’s not the reason.
People will enjoy my company more. Nope, that’s not it.
My kids will look forward to coming home–not only for the food. True, but not why I chose Winsome.
I want to be winsome because I know people who don’t know God. (You do, too.) They don’t know His winsome welcome is for them. I want to be that. Not generally winsome, all-the-time-winsome.

So this year, I’ll plan on keeping my One Word where I can see it, read it, pray it. I may tape it on lampshades, the fridge, nightlights, night goggles, my glasses, the M&M’s.

I mulled over some good choices: Abide, Rest, Abandon…but after a bit, settled on a Two Word:

Listen (Well)

Word of the Year

I like adding the adverb. I want to be a good listener – not a half-hearted, one ear to my thoughts and one ear to God’s. Not a I’m-doing-my-best-kind of listener, but still distracted by frets and feuds. No. I’ll take the Two Word WOTY and Listen (Well.)

Listening implies doing, but that’s another subject and you may need to get to work.

Ask God:

Lord, what word do You want for my 2017?  What do You want imbued in my life and informing my decisions? Help me remember what You want from me this year – another year of our Lord. Amen.

Let me know what you hear. I may need it for 2018.

Word of the Year

Linking often with these lovely bloggers:

MomentsofHope  TheArtofHomeMakingMondays SoulSurvival  LiveRandomlySimple   TestimonyTuesdays  CoffeeandConversation,Purposeful Faith  Jennifer Dukes  HolleyGerth KristinHillTaylor, SittingAmongFriends, WiseWoman ,  Thought-Provoking Thursday #livefreethursday Thoughtful Thursdays Faith-FilledFriday Faith’nFriends Grace&Truth  FreshMarketFriday DancewithJesus  Faith&Friends SnippetsofInspirations WordofGodspeak

• Reply Laura Acuna January 23, 2017 at 12:20 pm

My one word for the year is TWO words: Young women. The Lord has really impressed upon me that I need to encourage and reach out more to young women! Great post! Visiting you from Lori Shumakers link up. xo

• Reply Sue January 25, 2017 at 5:45 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who needs two words, Laura! What a great passion God’s given you – your life will be full, that’s for sure.

• Reply Kristi Woods January 24, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Oooo….I love your word of the year, adverb and all. I don’t have a word, but there is a scripture He’s impressed, which offers a bit of a phrase. It’s Luke 9:23, and it’s all about laying down self and FOLLOWING DAILY, Cross and all. Blessings for a God-filled and God-glorified 2017. #raralinkup

• Reply Sue January 25, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Cross and all, there’s the rub and the blessings. Thanks for sharing, Kristi.

• Reply Michele Morin January 25, 2017 at 10:22 am

I love your caveat that this #OneWord365 is not a contract because I’ve never chosen a word before, and really had no intention of choosing one this year, but “Standing” chose me as I read The Message version of Romans 5:1,2. I love the way you’ve shared the significance of our words in your post! And thanks for taking away the feeling of the straight jacket!

• Reply Sue January 25, 2017 at 6:05 pm

I love it when God shows us Himself by “choosing” something for us. Glad we are connecting, and respect you greatly!

• Reply Pat Fenner January 25, 2017 at 10:31 am

LOVE your Word, Sue! Mine’s “Joy”…and already feeling it impact my day-to-day! Thanks so much for sharing this at Coffee and Conversation :-)
    Have an AWESOME week, friend!

• Reply Sue January 25, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Hey, Pat! Love your word – we all need Joy for every year! Do I owe you a review??

• Reply iamzoewatson January 25, 2017 at 10:52 am

My word of the year is #quality. It seems like a broad word to try to apply to everything, but it works well for me as far as my blogging career goes as well as with my family! I love seeing these posts pop up all over the internet! Thanks for posting this at the Coffee And Conversation Link Party/Blog Hop for me to find.

• Reply Sue January 25, 2017 at 6:07 pm

You’re so welcome – love your word – God is quality and wants it for Him, for us – Thanks so much for stopping by.

• Reply Lauren Gaskill January 25, 2017 at 11:16 am

My best friend’s word last year was listen and, boy oh boy, did she learn a lot! Excited to see what God does in and through you this year my dear. So thankful for you. My focus is on loving well, and if your readers are interested, they can learn more here: http://www.laurengaskillinspires.com/365lovewellproject/

• Reply Natalie @ Milk & Honey Faith January 25, 2017 at 5:58 pm

My word is boldness. The Lord has me stepping out in ways I never thought I would and I can only imagine it will be even more so this year. I found you by way of Coffee for your <3 and I'm so glad I did. I'm also in a Facebook Group for Christian Bloggers called "By His Grace Bloggers". I'd love it if you joined.

• Reply Sue January 25, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Hmm… i’ll check it out – thanks for the invite, Natalie! Love your word as well.

• Reply A Life of Romance: Listening Well—Fresh Start for 2017 - Welcome Heart January 25, 2017 at 8:41 pm

[…] word for 2017 is Listen–to be a woman who Listens Well; or to make it […]

• Reply Laura Hicks January 26, 2017 at 9:55 am

I love your word Sue. Especially that you weren’t afraid to step out of the box with 2 words! Mine is “persevere” this year. Finish what I start is what God keeps bringing up for me. Have a blessed day.

• Reply Debbie Kitterman January 28, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Sue – great 2 words! and honestly probably some of the most important ones too. I love all the things you shared, but love that you are out of the box and doing what you felt the Lord was asking you to do — already putting listen well into action! Blessings, my week has been so hectic, I spotted your post at #FreshMarketFriday

• Reply Lori Schumaker of Seaching for Moments January 29, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Listen well! Love it! So so SO important! I just wrote in a facebook post, “I think we often speak a lot but listen, think, and pray little.”
    It’s so great to be back here for a visit! One of my favorite happy places ♥

Hugs,
    Lori

• Reply Crystal Twaddell January 31, 2017 at 10:02 am

Sue, this is a great word! In a world where we all want our voice heard, I do believe the art of listening is one of the greatest gifts we can offer someone.