Growing Something Besides Old Journal Stirring the Pot

Mold and Weeds, Pt. I – Growing Something Besides Old

January 29, 2017

Years ago, Mom walked by a crochety old lady in a wheelchair and I overheard her say, “If I ever start acting like that–shoot me!” We didn’t shoot her. She died a ripe old age of 95 of natural causes. Sometimes we say things we don’t mean. Before I was old I came across a great book title: Growing Something Besides Old.

I laughed out loud. I wasn’t on the old-train yet, but I knew it was due any minute.

We’re all growing old. (Sorry to douse your flame-of-youth.)

Will we grow:

• Stubborn?
  • Finicky?
  • Crochety?
  • Tired?
  • Bored?
  • Ornery?

We’re all growing older, but what else besides older? Growing something besides old makes me think of my refrigerator–growing something besides mold. Back shelf discoveries can be deadly.

Mold grows without my help. Just leave the leftovers alone. Time + moisture + inattention = mold.

I don’t need to force it, cater to it or nurture it. It just appears. What’s up with that?

Like gardening. If you leave gardening alone, what will grow without any help?

Weeds.

During the remodel, we didn’t touch the yard. During the drought I barely considered the yard. Yet, weeds flourished. Like these.

Spiritual growth

All without help. I never fed them, watered them, noticed them. I didn’t even invite them. Like mold, weeds flourish with inattention. (Maddening.)

It’s the same spiritually. If we don’t do a thing about growing, we will grow something – but it won’t be what we want. The Christian life is not static – we move one way or the other. (Maddening.)

I call it inattention. Tozer called it complacency:

Complacency is the deadly foe of all spiritual growth. A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

Spiritual growth

Satan’s trick is to dull my desire and distract my attention.

I want to grow up in Jesus, not grow mold or weeds. Whatever age, ladies, it’s time to grow up.

No prolonged infancies among us, please. We’ll not tolerate babes in the woods, small children who are an easy mark for impostors. God wants us to grow up, to know the whole truth and tell it in love—like Christ in everything. Ephesians 4:14 Message

What does it take to keep the weeds cleared and the mold cleansed?

Sweat for the weeds and bleach for the mold.

What does it take to make me more like Jesus?

Desire and attention to the things that matter to Him: people and His Word. He will take care of the rest.

This train is not slowing down. Lots to be done. Growing old? Yes. Growing more like Jesus? I need to fight the deadly foe.

I need to pay attention.

What helps you pay attention and keep this mighty longing after God? It’s Monday. Get your gloves–they can be pretty gloves.

Spiritual growth

Time to pull weeds and get out the Ajax.

A worthy weed-puller is Tozer’s The Pursuit of God. Time for a re-read.

Linking often with these lovely bloggers:

MomentsofHope ChasingCommunity TheArtofHomeMakingMondays SoulSurvival  LiveRandomlySimple   TestimonyTuesdays  CoffeeandConversation,Purposeful Faith  Jennifer Dukes  HolleyGerth KristinHillTaylor, SittingAmongFriends, WiseWoman ,  Thought-Provoking Thursday #livefreethursday Thoughtful Thursdays Faith-FilledFriday Grace&Truth  FreshMarketFriday DancewithJesus  Faith&Friends SnippetsofInspirations WordofGodspeak

• Reply BettieG January 31, 2017 at 10:02 am

Thank you for this great encouragement! I know what you mean about the weeds, and the mold! Sometimes it feels impossible to stay ahead of it all. But I’m so glad that Jesus is watching out for those areas in me that might develop into weediness or moldiness. He will clean out those areas in me, and help me to grow-up into Him, even in my old age approaching! I am so blessed to be your neighbor over at #TeaAndWord this week!

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 1, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Thank you miss Bettie — my mamas name. Yes I often fall behind. Grateful for this thing called grace.

• Reply Michele Morin January 31, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Tozer word’s are certainly good for rooting out complacency. I often think of Jude’s words when I think of the aging process. I don’t want to be like those waterless clouds or the fruitless trees, uprooted, twice dead. Since we have to grow old anyway, let’s water the earth with our fumbling wisdom and litter the ground around us with fruit! Thanks, Sue, for this exhortation to “fight the deadly foe.”

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 1, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Michele. It’s a fight that’s for sure.

• Reply elizabeth959803 February 1, 2017 at 4:31 am

Sue! Things I love about this (well, there are many…this is a short list): 1)You are a riot; 2)That dish-glove bouquet; 3)Tozer…did he ever write anything that wasn’t brilliant in a jab-you-in-the-heart kind of way; 4) “I wasn’t on the old-train yet, but I knew it was due any minute.” I’m pullin’ into the station, too, honey. Thanks for the inspiration this morning…stopping by from Coffee & Conversation!

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 1, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. You’re one of my favorites. God made us funny. Love Tozer.

• Reply Roseann Hampton February 1, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Love your comparison in this post! Definitely always a work in progress!

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 1, 2017 at 7:28 pm

That is for sure. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Meg Weyerbacher February 1, 2017 at 5:06 pm

This is gravy, Sue momma!! You are a great storyteller! I read this out loud to my hubby because the photo of the AW Tozer page was amazing. I even love the one right before the underlined part. I had Ephesians 4:13 laying beside me on a piece of paper too so it was wild to read the one right after it here! Thanks for sharing your big heart. PS: My mom always used Ajax bahaha!! xoxoxo

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 1, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Smart mama. Thank you meg. Tozer rocks.

• Reply mommaweaver February 1, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Such wonderful words here and also a great reminder to be on fire for Christ always! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 1, 2017 at 7:32 pm

You’re welcome and thank you!

• Reply Leslie McKinley February 1, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Thanks for the challenge! Just celebrated my 46 th. And the Holy Spirit has challenged me to grow bolder not just older. He convicted me to value a soul over a life. It I saw someone in a burning building would I rush in to save them? Yes I would! God has always given me a quick reaction time so I don’t think of self safety much. But, I do hesitate when I could offer another individual the hope of Christ. I do this out of fear of being a bad witness. Life is too short and sometimes the Holy Spirit gives us unexpected nudges.
    Blessings,
    Leslie

• Reply Sue February 5, 2017 at 11:15 am

46! I could be your mother! Bless you, Leslie! yes, I understand the struggle- praying for bolding, love and wisdom for you, for you.

• Reply Rebekah K Jones February 1, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Sue,
    I remember your Mom saying that she was going to see all that she could while she had the eyes to do it with. Always a blessing.
    I picked my word for 2017 ad it is JOY–J is for Jesus, O is for Others, and Y is for Yourself. I plan to have a bunch of JOY this year. Have a bunch of different things to go thru but we can be joyful regardless.
    You can get older with Georgia but I will not. 75 if old enough. Sisters are older then me. HA!
    Love you,
    Becky

• Reply Sue February 5, 2017 at 11:16 am

wonderful, becky!

• Reply Donna Reidland February 2, 2017 at 9:51 am

Sue, what a great post! Thanks for linking it up on Mondays @ Soul Survival. I’ll be pinning and sharing!

• Reply Sue February 5, 2017 at 11:16 am

Thank you, Donna – your marriage story was great!

• Reply Ifeoma Samuel February 2, 2017 at 11:09 am

Yes She, I don’t want to grow mouldy and full of weeds.
    I want to keep growing in Christ.
    Thanks for the devotional
    God bless

• Reply Sue February 5, 2017 at 11:17 am

You’re so welcome, sweet child of God!

• Reply Christine Duncan February 2, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Love the reminder that He has holy purpose for us, no matter how young or old! Loved visiting today from beside you at #TellHisStory :)

• Reply Sue February 5, 2017 at 11:17 am

Thank you, new Canadian girlfriend!

• Reply Brenda February 3, 2017 at 5:01 am

I love your sense of humor, Sue. I bet you hear that a lot. :) Great insight here. Sitting still isn’t an option, is it? We’re ever in motion, whether we chose it or not. — My preacher says, “Grow daily or die gradually.” :) — Thanks or sharing with #ChasingCommunity, Sue. Nice to see you. :) ((hug))

• Reply Sue February 5, 2017 at 11:18 am

Glad to be a part of your community, Brenda – love that word from your preacher!

• Reply jerralea February 3, 2017 at 2:31 pm

I love this on so many levels – who would have thought a bouquet of gloves and Tozer would be in the same post?

You are so right, we have to grow old but we can choose what other qualities we grow.

I have a copy of Pursuit of God. I better dig it out. :)

• Reply Sue February 5, 2017 at 11:19 am

It’s an oldie but gets me every time. Thank you, Jerralea. (a beautiful name, btw)

I do talk to myself (a lot) — but I’d love to hear what you might have to say HERE: