Creating community Growing Something Besides Old It's That Simple Journal Stirring the Pot

Love is a Verb, Pt. I: An Act of Endless Forgiveness

February 5, 2017
Stirring the Pot

Stirring the Forgiveness pot today.* A great day for forgiving and a great day for a beautiful printable. (You’re welcome!)

Though an English teacher by profession, grammar wasn’t my favorite. On the first day of school, while listing “Miss Moore’s Classroom Expectations” I included:

“If there’s not a surprise birthday party on May 25, you will have to do grammar all period long.”

Weird, I know. It just came out of my mouth and it stuck. I got a lot of cake in ten years of teaching. It stuck, as well. Ninth graders loved a party.

It helps to know some grammar. Action verbs are something we do. Here’s a good one for February:

Love. Love is a verb. It’s something we do.

God showed us how to love best and it was something He did:

When He gave (His Son.)

As He invites us (to His Eternal Party.)

While He forgives and forgives and forgives (our sin.)

All verbs: give, invite, forgive. Action verbs. Love takes doing, whether we feel like it or not. Sometimes I feel love, but that’s not the point.

I love Ustinov’s description:

Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.

Love is forgiveness

Forgiving someone you love may feel endless, and I’m thinking God may feel the same about me. I’m grateful He doesn’t stop, but keeps on forgiving. All I need to do is ask, and He forgives endlessly. Because of Jesus.

Make a list:

Who do I…

• Love?
  • Need to forgive?

Who could…

• Use a tender look?

How can I…

• Begin this habit?
  • Do things to love truly?

Love is a verb, an action verb. Happy February & Grammar! Happy Acting-in-Love-by-Forgiving-Endlessly!

Free printable.

Love is forgiveness

*Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works. Hebrews 10:24 ESV

Linking often with these lovely bloggers:

MomentsofHope  TheArtofHomeMakingMondays SoulSurvival ChasingCommunity TeaandWord LiveRandomlySimple   TestimonyTuesdays  CoffeeandConversation,Purposeful Faith  Jennifer Dukes  HolleyGerth KristinHillTaylor, SittingAmongFriends, WiseWoman ,  Thought-Provoking Thursday #livefreethursday Thoughtful Thursdays Faith-FilledFriday Grace&Truth  FreshMarketFriday DancewithJesus  Faith&Friends SnippetsofInspirations WordofGodspeak

• Reply A Chat Over Coffee February 6, 2017 at 2:37 pm

How right you are! And thank you for the beautiful printable. I shared the post on my Facebook page so others could enjoy it.
    Blessings, Leigh

• Reply Sue February 6, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Thanks so much and I wish we could chat over coffee – one of my favorite things to do.

• Reply Meg Weyerbacher February 6, 2017 at 3:54 pm

This is beautiful, Sue! I love the grammar-cake mashup! I can handle some grammar (SOME) but I despised breaking down the sentence parts -bleh! Love IS an action. Amen. The art here is pretty!

Visiting from #SoulSurvival

• Reply Sue February 6, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Yes – 10 years of teaching -only two fails where I said, What? No party? Please get out your grammar books. Thanks for sharing and loving -both good action verbs.

• Reply Meg Weyerbacher February 6, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Oooh. Yeah I guess that was a foot in mouth moment haha!!

• Reply carlielake February 7, 2017 at 6:10 am

Love your blog and love this post that encourages us to act out our good works not just think them out. Blessings to you, Sue!

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 7, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Thanks so much miss Carlie !

• Reply Karlene Arthur (@KarleneArthur) February 7, 2017 at 11:05 am

Beautiful words, today! And thank you for the lovely printable. Will be sharing. {Visiting today from #RaRaLinkup}

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 7, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Thank you Karlene for sharing!

• Reply Michele Morin February 7, 2017 at 1:56 pm

I happen to be just weird enough that I love grammar — but I love birthday parties more . . .

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 7, 2017 at 9:51 pm

God loves weird! And grammar. Thank you Michele.

• Reply Dolly Lee (@SoulStops) February 7, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Sue,
    What an encouraging post…Love is an action verb :-) And I also love the Ustinov quote…creative post…tweeted :-)

• Reply Sue Donaldson February 7, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Thank you dear Dolly!

• Reply Sarah Koontz (@sarahekoontz) February 8, 2017 at 8:09 am

Love is an action verb, the grammar nerd who lives inside of me is in love with this statement!

• Reply Sue February 8, 2017 at 8:31 am

Not much that is nerdy about you, dear Sarah!

• Reply Theresa Boedeker February 8, 2017 at 11:27 am

“Love is an act of endless forgiveness.” So beautiful and true.

I like the study grammar all day if no surprise party announcement! I taught English for years but never tried this trick. Pretty clever!

• Reply Sue February 8, 2017 at 9:05 pm

It did work for many cakes! Thanks for stopping by , Theresa. Love English teachers.

• Reply Brandi Raae February 8, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Thanks so much for linking up at Literacy Musing Mondays and for sharing your beautiful printable with us. :)

• Reply Sue February 8, 2017 at 9:05 pm

You’re so welcome and thank you!

• Reply mbethany February 9, 2017 at 9:39 am

Beautiful thought and graphic, Sue! I’d been thinking on this recently too because Valentine’s Day and people talking about what makes love work. : )

• Reply Laura Hicks February 10, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Love is an action verb – Love it!! May we all put love into action every day. Great post Sue.

• Reply Sue February 10, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Amen, Laura. Thanks for stopping by.

• Reply Lori Schumaker of Seaching for Moments February 12, 2017 at 10:35 pm

It REALLY is! Words simply are not enough ♥ Thanks, friend, for sharing hope alongside me! BTW – Gorgeous printable!
    Much love,
    Lori

• Reply Unmasking the Mess February 15, 2017 at 8:22 am

Action requires choice. It’s not a feeling. Thank you for this great reminder!
    #TellHisStory