Growing Something Besides Old Journal Stirring the Pot

Love is a Verb, Pt. II: The Wrong Side of the Question

February 12, 2017

Peter was nervy so we didn’t need to be. He asked questions. The wrong ones, often.

(Thank God for Peter.)

He asked Jesus a great question but he was on the wrong side of the question:

At that point Peter got up the nerve to ask, “Master, how many times do I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?”

Perhaps he should’ve asked:

Master, how many times do I get to forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? A million?

If Peter had said that, I couldn’t relate. Who can relate to perfection? Thus, Peter. (Thank God for Peter.)

Peter:

Master, how many times do I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?

Jesus replied,

Seven! Hardly. Try seventy times seven. (Matthew 18:21, 22)

I get on the wrong side of the question sometimes.

Lord, how long do I have to wait til you answer my prayer?

What do you mean “love your enemies”?

You’ve got to be kidding, right?

How many times do I have to forgive him?

She hurt me. You know she did–this can’t apply to this situation, right?

How does Jesus answer – wrong side or right? Like this:

Come unto Me. (Matthew 11:28)

It’s a good answer. He answers all our questions with an invitation. I like that. I’m all about an invitation. God welcomes you and me to know His forgiveness. Once we do, we pass it on. Like an invitation.

The questions that matter in life are remarkably few and they are all answered by the words:

“Come unto Me.”

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

Free printable.

Forgiveness

Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”  Jesus *said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. Matthew 18:21,22

Endless, Peter. Endless, Sue. (Thank God for Peter. Thank God for Jesus.)

Attention Chocolate Lovers – or Lovers of Chocolate Lovers: FB Live Monday, the 13th around 5:15 – I’ll show you how to show love by making one of my favorite (and easy) homemade chocolate cake recipes. Join me on FB and feel better about your own cooking prowess.

Linking often with these lovely bloggers:

MomentsofHope  TheArtofHomeMakingMondays SoulSurvival ChasingCommunity TeaandWord LiveRandomlySimple   TestimonyTuesdays  CoffeeandConversation,Purposeful Faith  Jennifer Dukes  HolleyGerth KristinHillTaylor, SittingAmongFriends, WiseWoman ,  Thought-Provoking Thursday #livefreethursday Thoughtful Thursdays Faith-FilledFriday Grace&Truth  FreshMarketFriday DancewithJesus  Faith&Friends SnippetsofInspirations WordofGodspeak

• Reply Michele Morin February 14, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Well, Peter just came flying off the page for me, Sue! Yes, thank God for that guy.

• Reply Sue February 14, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Amen and I’m glad.

• Reply Karen February 15, 2017 at 12:53 pm

“He answers all our questions with an invitation.” Powerful. Powerful. So often we are caught up with looking for tangible answer to our prayers, and forget that the main part of any answer is HIM. thanks!

• Reply Sue February 15, 2017 at 4:55 pm

yes, and i need to remember that every single day! thanks, karen!

• Reply Ginger Biggs Harrington February 15, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Love the quote. I’m thankful for the invitations Jesus gives!

• Reply Sue February 15, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Thanks, Ginger – it’s all about the invite (and the rsvp)

• Reply Debbie Kitterman February 15, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Sue – great post and I saw you were featured at #TellHisStory too. Woo Hoo! Thanks for stoppinng by my place to congratulate me on the launching of several things. I am actually stopping by also today from Meg’s #TeaandWord

• Reply Sue February 15, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Thanks, Deb – also appreciate your stopping by and no, I hadn’t seen that – so hurried! thanks for the head’s up and bless you and all you do and touch.

• Reply Abby February 16, 2017 at 10:38 am

Love this! Yes, thank God for Peter and the questions he asked. And thank God for Jesus, who went to him and showed now much he loved him despite the mistakes he made. Beautiful post.

• Reply Sue February 17, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Yes, he was a better man than me in every respect! Thanks, Abby.

• Reply Carol February 16, 2017 at 11:54 am

Yes, thankful for Peter! We are all in the process of learning how to love–and in need of the help from the Holy Spirit!

• Reply Sue February 17, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Amen, Carol.

• Reply jerralea February 16, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Love your point: we GET to forgive!

Also, thanks for sharing the printable!

I’m sad I came by after your FB cooking show. I’m sure it was wonderful. Maybe next time!

• Reply Sue February 17, 2017 at 12:26 pm

It’s still on FB feed, just not Live. The live part is always a little scary… thanks, Jerralea!

• Reply Brenda February 16, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Have I mentioned I love your writing style? You always bring a smile. Thanks for that. — And, goodness — always an invitation — had never thought of it like that before. — Yes, thank God for Peter and all the raw humanity purposely included in scripture. Gives a girl hope. :) — Thanks so much for sharing with #ChasingCommunity today, Sue. :) ((hug))

• Reply Sue February 17, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Thanks, Brenda I appreciate it. Humor is a gift from God – hope to always use it well (and the reason my husband married me… I need to remember that when feeling grumpy…)

• Reply Mandy Hughes February 16, 2017 at 1:47 pm

This is so beautiful, Sue! Thank God for Peter, indeed! Thank you for this sweet reminder that we can come to God no matter the question, or circumstance. He is the answer, always <3

• Reply Sue February 17, 2017 at 12:20 pm

You bet. I just need to remember that! Thanks, mandy.

• Reply Angela Howard February 16, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Love that quote! Visiting from #heartencouragementthursday :)

• Reply Sue February 17, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Angela.

• Reply Kristin Hill Taylor February 17, 2017 at 6:59 am

Read Matthew 11 from The Message – gosh, I love it so. Thanks for linking up at #ThreeWordWednesday.

• Reply Sue February 17, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Love The Message! Thanks for always hosting, Kristin!

• Reply Lauren Gaskill February 17, 2017 at 8:48 am

Amen! Love is indeed a verb. Love this printable, sweet friend.

• Reply Sue February 17, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Thanks, Lauren – glad to hear you’re feeling better!

• Reply Laura Thomas February 19, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Funny how we all seek out the easy answer, the doable “seven” to ease our conscience (yay Peter), and yet our gracious God answers in love. He is SO patient! Thanks for sharing this… stopping by from #ThoughtProvokingThursdays

• Reply Sue February 19, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Yes He is! Thanks for stopping by, Laura.

• Reply Meg Weyerbacher February 21, 2017 at 6:16 am

Oh yes. That Peter. I love him and all his humanness. I am glad God has let me read about him, because I think about him getting out of the boat and looking at his wet feet. I think that would have been me! And this part of his story is undeniably needed. I need to see that Jesus himself is willing to forgive endlessly (while I am on this earth) because I tend to let go of grace and grab hold of the old way (trying to work to get I what I’ve already gotten..) so this is a good good reminder. Thanks, Sue! xoxo